Pancotto may look fancy but it’s anything but fancy. This is the Italian mom’s secret recipe for using yesterday’s bread and being resourceful when there may be nothing left in the refrigerator. Also, this is a true no brainer Italian recipe that can be whipped up in no time for any level of cooking.
Difficulty: low Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 18 minutes
Ingredients | 4 Servings
1/2 loaf of white bread or 8 slices of bread(left over bread rolls)
12 slices of prosciutto
1 celery stick
1 carrot stick
2 bay leaves
2 large onions
1/4 cup of butter
1 tablespoon of vinegar
1 tablespoon of honey
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
- Cut and dice into very small pieces: celery, carrot, and shallots. Heat olive oil on stove top on a low flame, place diced carrot, celery, and shallot in pan with olive oil and sautee. ErrorThis video doesn’t exist
- Cut bread into large pieces. Add bread to vegetables once cooked down and cover the bread on stove top with vegetable broth. Let everything cook down together for about 15 minutes until it turns into a cream.
- Place prosciutto slices on a baking sheet and put in oven at 220 degrees for 6-8 minutes for the prosciutto to become nice and crispy.
- Cut onions into rings, place on the stove top a pan with butter on a low flame, add onions to butter with salt and pepper, let onions carmellize, then add vinegar to onions wait for vinegar to evaporate, and then add honey taking onions off the heat.
- Put the pancotto in an individual serving bowl, place prosciutto on top of pancotto and carmelized onions, top it off with a touch of olive oil. Serve and Buon appetito!