Mirtilli, better known as blueberries in English, are considered the super fruit of all fruits that easily takes us back to our summertime childhood memories of picnics, or outdoor bbqs . You may be surprised but even in Italy, yes Italians too, have a fond childhood memories of blueberry pie – pie di miritlli. It is a simple dessert, rich in taste, positive health benefits, and extremely appealing to the eye.
Here’s the Italian version to this classic pie recipe:
Difficulty: Low Prep Time: 1 hour 35 minutes Cooking Time: 50 minutes
300 grams of flour
120 grams of butter
100 gram of brown granulate(raw) sugar
5 dl of olive oil
1 large egg
400 grams of blueberries
100 gram of blueberry preserve
150 grams of dry cookies
Preparation Pie Crust:
- Mix 75 grams of the brown sugar with 120 grams of butter- cold – cut into pieces – mix butter into sugar with hands or a mixer.
- Once butter is mixed into sugar add egg and mix together with a pinch of salt, olive oil, 3 teaspoons of water.
- Add sifted flour to the wet mixture, work until a united dough, roll into an even ball, wrap with plastic wrap and let the dough rest in a cool space or refrigerator for an hour.
- After dough has rested, roll out into 2 equal parts – use one part for the base of the pie and place in pie pan, while the other cut into equal, long rectangular strips – roughly 12 strips – to make the pie crust braids to place on top of pie filling and around the crust.
Preparation Pie Filling:
- In a sauce pan, melt 10 grams of butter and 300 grams of blueberries on low heat with the rest of brown sugar and blueberry preserves.
- Place cookies in a zip lock bag and crush into little pieces / crumbs using a meat flattener.
- Once fruit incorporates with the sugar and butter, creating some liquid, add the dry cookies into the mixture in sauce pan and let cook down for 8-10 minutes – constantly stirring to make sure the pie filling does not burn or cook down too much.
- Place pie dough in pie pan, with a fork poke holes into the pie crust.
- Add filling from sauce pan over pie crust.
- Drape pie braids over the filling and around the edges to create the crust.
- Brush melted butter and brown sugar granulates on top of the pie crust to give it a golden crust once baked.
- Place in oven at 180 C / 250 F for 50 minutes , let cool for 10 minutes and serve!