When the weather becomes cold and everything seems grey outside it isn’t always easy to stay motivated with your healthy. Sometimes a warm and gooey comfort food dish makes everything just right!
We’ve got a dish for you to fight the winter blues and stay healthy! Shrimp and colourful cauliflower risotto – warm and gooey comfort food mixed with a light and bright seafood-veggie mix. Not only is it tasty but it’s also a treat for the eyes. Yes, this dish is warm and cozy with a creamy aspect but the creamy-ness is still all healthy because it’s just a touch of parmesan cheese – which is an excellent cheese to substitute into your daily diet.
Difficulty : Medium Prep Time : 10 minutes Cook Time : 35 minutes
Onions, Carrots, Celery
- Chop in small dices 1/2 onion, 1/2 carrot, 1/2 celery.
- In a small pot boil water to cook the cauliflower in.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add olive oil and diced onions and carrots as a mirepoix – soffritto – base for our risotto. Once the mirepoix is cooked down add in the dry rice and let it brown – rosolare – with the soffritto for two to three minutes – constantly stirring.
- Add in a glass of wine with the heat on high. Cook and stir until the wine has evaporated.
- Once the wine is evaporated, lower to a medium flame and add in one ladle of broth and stir. This process will be repeated until the rice is completely cooked about 20minutes – one ladle at a time stirring the rice until the broth is absorbed and then add in another spoonful of broth. Make sure the rice is evenly covered with broth at all times – the trick of risotto is that the rice cooks in the broth slowly.
- While the rice is cooking, cook the cauliflower in boiling salted water for 5 minutes – make sure the cauliflower doesn’t cook too much and remains quite firm.
- In a small frying pan, cook the baby shrimp in a 1/2 spoonful of olive oil (if the shrimp are frozen then let them defrost before cooking) for about 2/3 minutes.
- Chop half of the cauliflower, once cooked, and add into the risotto with half of the cooked shrimp, a teaspoon of salt and pepper – save the other half to add to the top of the dish once complete.
- Grate the parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Taste the rice towards the end of cook time making sure it is cooked but adding in the butter and parmesan cheese. After rice is cooked, place on a low flame add in grated parmesan cheese and a teaspoon of butter. Mix all together until the rice has absorbed the cheese and has a creamy consistence.
- Plate the rice in a serving bowl add the rest of the cooked shrimp on top of the rice and place a few cauliflower heads around the dish as well.
ENJOY YOUR COMFORT HEALTHY FOOD DISH AND EAT BENE!!