Lasagna is with out a doubt always a family favourite when you put it on the week night menu. Many times we think of lasagna with a flavour packed red Italian meat sauce with creamy béchamel and gooey cheese, that kids just can’t get enough of at the dinner table. But there are also plenty of yummy vegetarian options to make for your family. What we love about lasagnas is that you can change the vegetable filling depending on the season or your personal preferences.
Your kids at home will get a dish they love with an extra boost of veggies!
Making a lasagna may seem time consuming but it is a very simple preparation and is totally worth the extra time. Not only will your family eat it up any day of the week but it is also a great option to make ahead of time and keep with your freezer friendly pre-made meals.
One option we provide as well to make it on the lighter side is trying a homemade light béchamel option, added below.
We promise this is a really tasty meal that won’t disappoint your family !
Difficulty : Easy Prep Time : 40 minutes Cook Time : 30 minutes
Lasagna Pasta Sheets
1/2 White Onion
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
Bechamel (store bought)
***If you want to make a homemade light béchamel sauce : Oat milk , flour, nutmeg, salt***
- Bring a pot of water to boil, once water starts to boil, salt and add cauliflower. Boil cauliflower for 10 minutes, drain and set aside to cool and then cut into smaller pieces.
- Dice zucchini and carrots in evenly, add a teaspoon of olive oil to a small frying pan and on a medium heat cook zucchini and carrots together for 6 minutes.
- For homemade light béchamel : in a small sauce pan heat oat milk, add a pinch of salt and nutmeg, once milk is heated add 1 tablespoons of flour – sift before adding- removing sauce pan from heat adding in flour slowly while continuing to stir, then add back on heat and continue to stir until an even cream mixture.
- Layer bechamel at the bottom of a casserole pan then a layer of pasta, then a layer of béchamel zucchini and carrots, layer of pasta, layer of béchamel and cauliflower, and continue until casserole is full. The last layer should be of pasta with béchamel and grated parmesan cheese sprinkle on top until covered all of top pasta layer.
- Add in oven and cook at 320F/160C for about 20 minutes, serve hot and enjoy!