This is a vegetarian friendly variation of everyone’s favorite Pasta Carbonara. The original Carbonara is made with pancetta —which is similar to our bacon or bacon bites— and the story goes that this dish originated in Rome during World War II after the Americans brought over large quantities of bacon and egg powder. But, instead of following the original recipe today, we have created a great alternative to keeping your pasta light with our Zucchini or Vegetarian Carbonara. This is an excellent dish to keep in your repertoire for week night meals, it is simple to prepare and an extremely tasty classic no one can resist!
Difficulty: low Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 12 minutes
3 egg yolks
10 oz. of grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper
Cooking pasta water
Pasta & Sauce Preparation
- Fill a large pot with water and set on stove top high flame, cover and wait until boils.
- Wash and cut zucchini into thin round slices then quarter sizes. Heat a pan with olive oil, and add cut zucchini to the heated oil. Let zucchini cook down and let it soften by the oil. Once zucchini have cooked set aside.
- In a large bowl place egg yolks, whisk eggs, add parmesan cheese and continue mixing in the same direction —this mixture should thicken some by the cheese but still remain gooey— add lots of pepper and a pinch of salt, continue mixing. Once mixture is combined and zucchini have cooled, place the zucchini in the egg mixture and set aside.
- Once water reaches boil, add sea salt to water and pasta —penne pasta should take roughly 12 minutes, refer to cooking time indicated on package— while the pasta is cooking, take a ladle and remove 2 tablespoons of pasta water (water which the pasta is being cooked). Add 1 tablespoon of pasta water to the egg and zucchini mixture and stir together, the mixture should then become creamier, use judgement with how much pasta water to add **Hint: if it is already creamy do not add an additional water, instead if the mixture is still quite thick continue with another tablespoon of cooking water.
- After pasta has been cooked and strained add it to the egg mixture slowly while constantly mixing the pasta and eggs together. Make sure mixture is evenly distributed over pasta and remains creamy.
- Before serving add additional parmesan and pepper to the top of pasta and buon appetito!